MS Office suite completely redefined and blessed work culture with feature-rich spreadsheet program Microsoft Excel. It is quite easy to keep your business or personal contacts in Excel that has become the routine norm followed by many both at general and enterprise level. Internet revolution and virtual presence paved way for mass usage of many PDAs that is ruling our life so much that we perform most of our day to day activities on these devices. And android based smart devices are like icing on the cake that is loaded with numerous mobile apps limiting our physical boundaries to virtual communities. Most of the internet related activities on various platform and web based applications requires to feed contact details to process digital information.
With digital evolution as of now more and more people are depending on digital devices to seamlessly store and access their contact details. As I am the one who loves to leverage on such smart PDA’s like mobiles, smart phones, tablets would want to exchange and share my excel contact database with my friends and colleagues on these devices. But how can I export my Excel contacts to these devices? Like if I start entering my contact information from excel sheet on these devices manually would be a time consuming monotonous task that I would not prefer. So one of the feasible option is to convert the excel contacts in unified format that is vCard which is widely supported by diverse devices and programs. This format works well in sync with almost all the operating system Android, iOS , Windows, Mac and many others.
Let’s get our concepts clear about vCard
A vCard is a kind of file format standard normally used for electronic business cards and supported on all modern days’ electronic devices. vCard is often used as an attachment to e-mail messages, but can be exchanged in other different ways also like we can use it for World Wide Web or instant messaging. vCard store name and address information, e-mail addresses, URLs, phone numbers, logos, photographs, and audio clips.
We can resort to two ways to export all the contacts from an Excel file to vCard format. One of the ways requires you to convert from some manual tricks to convert excel contacts to vCard format and another option push you for evaluating some third-party Excel to vCard Converter tool. Though manual steps counts into economical freeway solution that cost on your precious time with no guarantee of safe conversion if any of the steps are skipped by mistake.
Convert Excel to CSV in few steps
- Open your excel file.
- Then Click on File and Save as.
- Select the location where you want to save the file (like your desktop or a drive).
- In the File Name area, define your document with the desired name.
- Now select CSV(Comma Delimited) from the pull down menu in the Save as Type
- Click Save.
- You may receive one or two warning about the formatting of .csv, click yes.
Import contacts to your system
- Click Start button > type Contacts on search bar.
- Then you have to Click Contacts under Programs.
- Click on Import tab in the Contacts window,
- In the Import to Windows Contacts wizard, select CSV (Comma Separated Values) and click Import button.
- Now you have to browse the *.csv file on your system by clicking on the Browse button.
- Select the specific *.csv file and Open which you want to import.
- Click Next button to continue the process
- Now you have to map the text field with the corresponding contacts field.
- Click OK to confirm selection.
- Map all the fields you want to import.
- Click Finish once the mapping is completed.
- Now click Close to finish the import process.
Export contacts to VCF files
- Go to the Contacts window, select all contacts to be exported to VCF. Then click on Export
- In the Export Windows Contacts screen, select vCards (folder of .vcf files) and click Export
- Choose the location at which you want to save these contacts.
- Or you can create a new folder to save the contacts at any desired location. Click OK to confirm your selection.
- Within a few seconds, all your chosen contacts will be exported in VCF format at your defined location.
- Now click Close button to end the export process.
This procedure works well for the scenario when you have limited number of contacts to be converted or exported to vCard but the downside of this is felt when you have numerous contacts. Then you have to consider some effective and safe third-party tool, one such perfect utility Excel to vCard converter by SysInfoTools software worked well in my test developed by folks at their lab.This is really worth the price utility for safe conversion in an effective and swift way.